Friday, April 3, 2009

Time Will Tell & The Eyes Have It

We have two kids who really like to get up early...I mean really early. It's not unusual for Sam to wake up around 5:00AM and then proceed to wake us up to ask if he can get up now. Umm. No. Go back to bed.

Now you must realize that Sam has been the perfect child when it comes to staying in bed. Up until a couple of months ago he never would have ventured out of his bed until we came in the next morning to tell him he could get up. It never would have occurred to him to come up with some excuse to get out of bed at night. All that has changed. So even though he is a little young to start telling time, we had to do something to keep him from waking us up at the crack of dawn.

So we bought this...



And then I made him this...


This handy little chart spans the morning hours between 5:00AM and 7:00AM. We told him that if the numbers on his clock are the red numbers on his chart he has to "Stop" and stay and bed. If the numbers are green, then he can get up. Sounds like a a great plan. He was very excited about it. Last night did not go so well. Here's what our evening and morning looked like.

7:00PM Bed time

7:20PM Trip #1
Sam: Mom, I brought you these books for your birthday.
Mom: Thank you. Go back to bed and get under the covers.

7:30PM Trip #2
Sam: Mom, I can snap my fingers (demonstrated "silent" snapping).
Mom: That's great, Sam. Go back to bed and get under the covers.

7:35PM Trip #3
Sam: Mom, the clock says 7:35 -- I can get up now!
Mom: Sam, I forgot to show you something very special on your clock. This little light in the corner means it's nighttime. The numbers have to be the green numbers AND this little light has to be gone. That means it's morning.

7:45PM Trip #4
Sam: Mom, this is taking too long.
Mom: Sam, you have to go to sleep first -- then you can get up.

4:30AM Trip #5
Sam: Mom, can I get up now? (Mom was not awake at this point).
Mom: No, it's way too early. Let's go back to bed.

5:00AM Trip #6
Sam: Mom, now is it time to get up? (Mom had just fallen back asleep).
Mom: No. I want you to stay in bed until I come and get you.

Obviously the clock and the chart have not had the desired effect yet -- but we'll give it a little more time!

Shifting gears....we just scheduled Sam's first eye appointment for next week. In anticipation of this exciting event, the boys tried a new look to give us a glimpse of what they might look like if they have to wear glasses. I'm thinking contacts might be a better option.


No comments:

Post a Comment